My Medical Device Sales Career
The 5Es to Extraordinary Results Selling Medical Devices
1. Easy- Is your device easy to use? Will the learning curve be short? Doing business with you and your company must be painless. One of your biggest obstacles is getting physicians to change so do not discount it. Tip: If they see a need and it’s easy to use (saves time and effort), your success rate just increased exponentially.
2. Educating- What is the reason for you being in the (OR) right now? Hanging out is not permitted! You should be an encyclopedia of knowledge about the disease state, your device, the industry, the competition and the procedure. Tip: Teaching clinicians something new greatly enhances your professional credibility and is a whole lot of fun.
3. Exploring- Are you comfortable inquiring as to why they prefer this over that or how they decided to be a ___ surgeon (specialty) vs. another. Get comfortable asking questions about who they are, what drives them, what they do beyond medicine etc… Tip: Build relationships, ask for commitment, ask for referrals, provide new ideas, ask probing questions, and are as concerned about great patient outcomes as the surgeon. Sales Rep = Patient Advocate
4. Engaging- Are you likeable? Are you genuinely interested in the case? What makes you different than the 10 other sales reps who are also calling on that very same doc? Tip: They will not allow you in until they trust you and they will not trust you until they know you genuinely care about them.
5. Exceptional- Spend less time selling and more time creating memories in the minds of your customers. Your mission is to be different, talk different, ask different questions and be more prepared than anyone else in the industry. Are you creating a sales experience that is authentic? Tip: Your true competition is your ability to create value in the sales process by adapting, evolving and delivering outstanding customer service across all touch points.